Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Owen by Kevin Henkes

Kevin Henkes is one of my favorite children's authors; I love his relatable topics. This Caldecott Honor winner is a prize in itself about the attachment a boy makes with his blanket and not wanting to let go. Owen loves his blanket and he takes it everywhere he goes. The only problem is that he is starting school soon and his parents think he is getting to old to carry it around. As they try and think of ways to get rid of it, Owen seems to come up with clever ways to outsmart them and hold on to his precious blanket. I love the witty humor mostly seen in with the illustrations and simple text perfect for young readers. The bright watercolor drawings helped add expression to the characters and give more insight to the story. I think this book will make a connection to all readers in regards to making a connection to something special be it a blanket, toy, etc. and having to let go. This book would even be appreciated by older readers by allowing them to go back and remember times they resembled Owen, I know I did. This book will just leave you with a smile, as most of Kevin Henkes' books do. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who has ever had something special to them that couldn't live without.

No comments:

Post a Comment